Grand Strand District Meeting
June 8th, 2017
HGTC Grand Strand Campus: 3501 Pampas Drive, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577
It is in Building 1000, Speir Building, Room 1285
2nd quarter Grand Strand District Meeting for June 8, 2017 at 6:00 p.m. The topic is SBAR. The course is from 6-8 p.m. with the CEU topic and a business meeting.
The cost is $10 for non-APTA members and free to APTA members. Please email email@example.com if you plan on attending.
SBAR is an acronym for Situation, Background, Assessment, Recommendation; a technique that can be used to facilitate prompt and appropriate communication. This communication model has gained popularity in healthcare settings, especially amongst professions such as physicians and nursing.
Outline of Presentation (Program Length is 50 minutes) (.1CEU)
1. What is SBAR and Hx.
2. Coaching of student communication using SBAR method
3. Provide examples of SBAR communication between CI and student with various levels of student skill and knowledge and various level of patient complexity
4. Participants will practice SBAR method through role play.
1. State the Situation, Background, Assessment and Recommendation components of the SBAR technique
2. Identify pertinent types of patient information that you wish students to include in each category of this communication tool
3. Practice use of SBAR communication technique with a simulated CI/student pairing to include
a. Less than 1 minute communication by the student
b. Sample follow-up question by the CI to enhance students use of the technique to enhance patient care
Speaker(s) Name(s) and Title(s): Jennifer Cline, PT, MS, Center Manager Carolinas Medical Center PT/OT Department; Harvey Mathews, PT, DPT, DCE, Univ. of South Carolina DPT Program